Featured Post

Brand Rules

Whether its Personal branding or Corporate branding, there are rules in the brand world. The Brand Room is going to be sharing some of th...

Tuesday 23 August 2016

Visiting Accra? Review of Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra.


Pic credit:booking.com The View from the entrance of the hotel
August is the month of travelling for most Nigerians. Recent statistics shows that the number of people travelling Overseas have dropped by 75% this year due to the economic situation. Some Newspaper Publications  reported an increase in travelers at various motor park in Lagos, going to spend summer holiday in their villages.

If you happen to be one of those, that might be considering going to an African Country on vacation, then maybe you should consider going to Ghana. Ghana is just 8 hours by road  from Nigeria and 45 mins by air.

I paid a weekend visit to Accra, the capital of Ghana precisely in February of this year, and my experience on this particular trip was out of this world. Despite the fact that it wasn't my first visit to the Gold Coast, it was the best weekend getaway this year. Two weeks before the trip, I made hotel reservation on  Booking.com based on people's review of the Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra, although the reviews were pretty good but  I didn't think it was going to be anything special as I have been to a couple of great hotels on several  holidays. 

Landed in Ghana at 7:45 am Ghanaian time and the hotel pick up Van was already waiting to receive us. The driver led us to the car park,put our bags in the Van, then offered us cold water in a very cute mini bottle, He proceeded to ask if we didn't mind connecting to the WiFi in the Van. WiFi? I was beaming from ear to ear, never seen that before in any hotel pick up car in the world, or maybe I haven't traveled enough that's why this experience feels so surreal to me.

Anyways, we got the WiFi connected and drove out of the Airport. I haven't been to Accra in 10years, so everything looked so different to me, the last time I was in Accra,N1 was about 10,000Cedis or there about but this time, I was visiting the new Accra where 1 Cedi was N80, I hear now its about N100 to 1 Cedi.

I got mesmerized by the beautiful and quiet city, that I lost track of how many minutes it took us to get to the hotel, but when I asked the driver he said it was about 20 mins drive. At the check in counter, We were welcomed by a set of beautiful and handsome Receptionists with a huge smile on their faces, our reservation was confirmed, then suddenly we were asked to pay an extra charge for early check in, and as per Naija girl that I am, Booking.com did not pre-inform me about any extra fees to be paid, So I proved my point beyond reasonable doubt and alas!their Manager (Mr Joseph) intervened and got the extra fees waived. Before we could say thank you, the Potter  already had our bags loaded on the cart and was leading us to the lift.

Let me tell you a little bit about the Hotel Reception. Its a mix of western luxury with a traditional touch, very simple yet alluring and welcoming. At the entrance of the lift, in a beautiful corner,are these beautiful Consoles with a shinning silver Jaguar nicely placed on them. One thing I was about to find out was the fact that there were so many beautiful Art Work on each floor of the Hotel.

The lift stopped on the 7th floor and we were welcomed by some majestic paintings on the wall showcasing women in various forms, most of this paintings were bright and beautiful and had a flowing and flowery kind of appeal.
Pic credit:booking.com    Superior king Room-Poolside View 

I checked into my room The Superior King- Pool Side View,oh my God! the bed was inviting and big, I loved the curtain, the furniture and most especially the reading table. The bathroom wasn't over the top but it wasn't bad at all.

We had already been told, breakfast was still opened so we took the opportunity to go downstairs to have a quick complementary breakfast. It was a very big open restaurant, you get your eggs and pancakes made for you while you tell the Chef how you want it. We had quite a number of variety to choose from because it was a buffet, so no matter your taste bud, you can be sure that there is something you can eat and its very yummy too.
My Personal Pictures

At noon, we decided to go chill at the Swimming pool area, oh I love their pool side and the pool is not too deep. The food menu here is also fantastic, you get to choose from giant Shrimps and Chips to Chicken wings and chips and all sorts depending on what you like, their ice cream cappuccino(not sure if that's what  is called). is so creamy and yummy, you need to give it a try. And you get served by hot looking males on a Roller Skates, the sight is something else!

Caution! If you are Nigerian, do not attempt to try their Jollof rice, don't say I didn't tell you. In my opinion their jollof rice is error. Naija Jollof is the only Jollof in the world. So when you see it at lunch time, please carry ya eye comot because if it looks nice and smells nice, it doesn't mean it is for your naija taste bud. Go for other cuisines available in the restaurant.

Moving on,they have an in- house Art store where you will see carefully selected arts and crafts, they have a day Bar and Weekend Night Bar, they have a luxury store, they have children play ground, they also have a gym, Sauna and Spa which comes as complementary if you are staying in the hotel. And I spotted a very nice pharmacy on the ground floor.

Another beautiful thing is the location of this Hotel, its directly opposite the National Art Theatre, so if you love stage plays, you know its a stone throw from your hotel room, Its also very central and you can get a cab to any where in Accra from the front gate of the Hotel. Although they have Hotel cabs but they are quite pricey.

Generally, the people, the service and the ambiance of the hotel gets a thumbs up  from me. The rooms were cleaned every morning, you get a wake up call on demand, you can either choose to do your ironing your self, they have irons in the room or you can call the room service.

Through out my 3 days stay, I had a magical experience.

4 comments:

  1. Movenpick is a fabulous hotel. Clean and spank. But pls, never attempt to take a dive into their pool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toksyb: Nice one but we ve oriental in lagos too but they dont ve pharmacy,I need to visit movenpick asap....lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister stayed at this hotel with her husband as well when she was on Ghana and she almost killed my phone with the beautiful pictures of the hotel and me with jealousy, lol. Can't wait to experience this with Mr S-O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valuable information. Fortunate me I discovered уour site unintentionally, аnd Ι'm stunned wһy thiѕ coincidence dіdn't came
    аbout in advance! I bookmarked it.

    ReplyDelete

Follow us on Instagram @thebrandroombyabi



Disclaimer: Please note that comments are strictly blog visitors/readers views and opinions.

Contributors